Wednesday, December 10, 2008

29 inches, 29 years old, and 2009!

So far 2009 is shaping up to be a good year. As you may allready know, Trek has decided to pull the plug on their US based teams. I had a good season with them in 2008 and now it's time to move on. It's unfortunate, but it's a part of the business. On that note, I've aquired new sponsorship for 2009. The Michigan Trek/Fisher sales rep, Mike Shrift, and Travis Ott of Gary Fisher stepped up and came through with a spot on the Fisher 29er crew. Thanks guys! I'm really excited to be switching back to the 29" wheels. I'll be 29 years old, riding on 29" wheels, in 2009. Coincidence??? Perhaps fate brought all that together.
My weapon of choice is the Superfly. 3lb carbon frame with all the Bontrager trimmings. Bontrager is also comming out with a couple new tire choices like the XR1 which will help keep the wheels turning fast!
After a 2 week layoff with a bad cold, the winter training program is underway. My wife Michelle and I joined a local gym and I have a permanent trainer setup in the basement for getting in some time after work, or on those days where it's just unberable to be outside. My favorite movies to watch are the Rocky movies, Lord of the Rings, or Star Wars... yeah I'm a nerd.


I decided to work with a coach this year which is a first. He's a local guy and most people know him as Art. Imagine trying to tell this guy you don't feel like riding today (see pic below). I think he coached Rocky Balboa at one time, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm sure that's where Rocky learned about the running the stairs. (see pic above)


I think a viewpoint outside my own head will help tremendously to help make sure I'm doing the right things at the right times. We make a good team. Here's Art after our first training session on the stairs.
I'm looking forward to another fun season of traveling and making new friends. That's all for now. Gotta get back to the daily grind. Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

Timothy Finkelstein said...

Rocky...a timeless classic sure to provide motivation no matter how many times I watch it and thus the reason why my face is growing long at the moment (see #4 second Russia Training Montage). 29 inch wheels? Hmmmmmm...sounds like a good concept to me!

Aryn said...

I bought the whole Rocky boxset for last year's "off season" on the trainer. I got my $$$ worth for sure. Good luck on the new team.

Quiring MTB Team said...

Very Nice MIKEY !

Glad to see you off the Clown bike...

--Lummis

Anonymous said...

Glad to here a sponsor stepped up for one of our best Michigan racers. Hope you have another great year.

Eric Tompkin